Pages

Friday 18 January 2013

A Cake for Going Green


Front of the cake
I joined a cake decorating competition awhile ago. The theme of the cake was ‘go green’. Ideas immediately sprang up in my mind, so many ideas, so many things I want to show and express to the world. I can make this happen by making this cake work.

Then the environment came to mind, the beauty of it, the animals, the flowers, the fresh air. Then pollution, and extinction, and life would get worst by the year and finally ends. I needed a story to tell. And then I had made up my mind. I would make a cake about what will happen if no one recycled.

The idea was to divide the design into two parts, the clean and the dirty, the end result of what if you cleaned up, what if you didn’t. I would fill the happy part with flowers, trees and life; I would fill it with animals and a breath of fresh air. A river would do well too. And then for the sad part I would fill it with things we did not recycle, things we did not bother to care, I would make it into a filthy world where life is not worth living.

Back of the cake
So came the end result of the cake. I was happy with it even though I missed making the trees livelier, I did not include the bird, my river was not able to make its appearance all due to the limited time we were given. But my recycle bins looked great. My orangutan and proboscis monkey was smiling and happy, my rabbits were grazing the green grass. It was life and happiness which I created. The other part looked dreadful, with rats all over the place, boxes, planks, tins, barrels, sewers with bags of rubbish and trees without life. It was death I created and I was happy about it too. The cake was perfect; it had an idea in it. It had a message to the people, and most of all, it had a story.

The judges came and I was put to 1st consolation. This was only the 4th placing. They said the theme was ‘go green’ and my cake is not green enough. But I was happy, the rest of the people had seen my cake, the message was delivered. There was a point to it, the judges had not seen it, but the people did and I was proud of myself. I did something for nature and that is all that matters.

From this experience that I share, do you see how ignorant people are to their surroundings? Do you see how little people understand about going green? Going green is not just about making the world greener, but it’s to make the world a better place to live, by changing our habits, by making us more sensitive to the things we’re doing to harm this world we live in, this home of ours. We need to open our eyes, we need to look and see what is around us and for once, care for it, love it, treasure it.

We need awareness!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment